Basketball drills for all skills
- 4 pawns with ribbons (positioned low to the ground)
- 1 basketball per person
1. The player jumps over the ribbon with 2 feet at the same time, while holding the basketball in front of him at chest height.
2. The player jumps backwards back to the middle.
3. In the middle, the player makes a jump bringing the basketball up (arms extended) and the player makes a 180 C turn.
4. The exercise repeats facing the other side.
- 4 pawns with ribbons stretched across them (1 ribbon per 2 pawns). Make sure the formation is not too high above the floor. Therefore use low pawns or spotlights.
1. The player starts next to the pawns.
2. The players jump from right to left over the ribbons in 'skating jumps', always putting their weight on the outside leg.
3. Make sure the players are sitting low and always land with only one leg and take off from this leg.
Player 1 has 2 balls and dribbles to the pawn with both balls.
Player 2 cuts from the corner to the wing.
Player 1 makes a 1 hand push pass to player 2 on the wing.
With the other ball player 1 makes a cross over and shoots the ball.
Player 2 makes a jump shot.
the low post
- 5 stands extremely deep, near the bottom line
- as soon as 3 starts to dribble, 1 starts to screen for 5
- he crosses over to the block on the other side (picture 2)
- 1 fills the guard position (picture 2)
- as soon as 3 has matched the post (5), he cuts across to the ring
- at the same time, 1 sprints to the corner for the shot
5 has 3 options:
1) adjust 3 for the lay up2
) adjust 1 for the shot3
) play 1 against 1 himself against 6
- timing: the pass to the center must come at the moment it arrives on the block
- at the split, leave enough space for the (bounce) pass.
- 1 sprints straight to the corner as soon as the pass is hit, so that defender 4 is hampered by cutting in 3 and his defender
- in preparation run 3 against 0 and systematically go through the various options.
- left and right
- Cut below
- 2 rows on the center line and an outlet.
- Right side starts with ball and runs lay-up and left side catches it as high as possible.
- The catcher passes to the outlet and the outlet to the next man in the right row, etc.
- After a desired number of scores, do the same on the other side.
Row under the basket, 2 in the center circle and two on the out.
- Row passes to Out (and runs straight to the other basket)
- Out passes to center
- Center passes to the inbounds player.
The players practice with the overhead pass (with 2 hands, from above the head) and vary with distance players stand in a circle with 1 player in the middle.
- One player starts and throws the ball with a chest pass to the player in the middle.
- Then the first player runs after the ball to the middle.
- The player in the middle throws the ball to the next player in the circle and then runs after them etc.
The players stand in a circle and pass the ball to each other.
- They are free to choose who they throw to and which pass variant they use.
- To make the exercise more difficult more basketballs can be used.
Creative â€œnumbersâ€ drill
- Attacker O1 starts the drill by initiating dribble penetration;
- Then all the other players in line move;
- Attackers try to score, defenders try to stop ball;
- If successful, 4-on-0 break on other basket;
- Scoring system and possibly time-limit to your own interpretation;
- Players may run free at their own discretion;
Teaching point: An open driving lane is a more or less perpendicular path to the basket or to a help defender in the bucket.
Help defense is out of position = 1-to-1
This rule does apply after five passes. So again: We play 1-on-1 only after five passes!
- shot from the elbow
- outlet pass after score
- overhead pass from low post to elbow
- after shot rebound and immediately step over the back line and take the ball
- always chase your ball and take the next position
- set a goal; e.g. 30 shots.
- in the last step bring the ball above your head and turn your face towards the pitch
- Tight overhead pass to the outlet
- ask high for the ball
- Pass the ball in the shot hand
- counterclockwise and clockwise
- Fill up waiting time at the forward position with fake passes
- The other way round: after scoring, pass to the elbow and shoot from the corner