basketball drills for all skills
- Two lines facing the basket.
- One line is the Layup line, the other line is the rebounding line.
- First two players in the playup line have a basketball.
- The drill - First player in line with a ball dribbles the ball to shoot a lay-up.
- Shooter joins rebounding line.
- Rebounder joins shooting line.
- Coaching point- Aim ball and push it in small square on the back board.
- Have players line up on the baseline and assign the players numbers.
- The Drill - the coach rolls or tosses a ball to the center of half court and calls out a number.
- In this case, #4.
- The two players assigned #4 attack the basketball, the player the wins the ball first is on offense and tries to score on the basket by the coach.
- Players are allowed one shot.
- Variations - Call two numbers.
- Four or more players are in a circle
- One or two defenders are in the middle
- The players wil pass to each other and the middle defenders try to catch the ball
- Players in the circle cannot pass to the person directly next to him (because otherwise the ball will not go through the middle)
- If the ball is catched, he will change place with the person who threw the ball
- Repeat ten times
- Any pass is legit
- 4 things you can do after passing:
- Screen away.
- Cut to the basket (example: give and go, or back-cut). Back cut if the defender is denying the pass.
- V-cut and pop back outside for the return pass and outside shot.
- Rules without the ball:
- If you have an under-play (defender sagging off), pop out to spread the defense.
- If you have an overplay (being denied), backcut.
- Someone dribbling at you, backcut (except for the weave plays).
- Fill the open spot when a teammate cuts inside.
- When someone dribble-penetrates, relocate.
- Screen away, and pop out.
- The most important rule is to keep moving.
- Row players 3-point line.
- Ball 2nd player etc.
- Defender under the basket.
- First player runs to defender. Quick post-up, receives pass/keep ball high. NO DRIBBLE!
- Passive defense, finish.
- Fake left, finish right.
- Step to left with left foo,than cross step with same foot/pivot and finish right.
- One dribble........
- 5 players.
- 3 Offense.
- 2 Defense. (Well executed)
- Extra defender on passer
- A passes to B.
- B looks for the post up from C. 0,5 sec.
- If not. C moves to opposite site/duncker spot.
- B goes one on one.
- But B cutting is extra option.
- 2 chances.
- If well executed every time.
- Extra defender on A.
- Than it's 3 on 3, where A can be open for the shot when B drives..
For the Basketball trainer: Yoursportplanner one
Basketball training sessions
Easily create training sessions and save them. View the sessions in the mobile app.Go to training sessions
Search existing drills. Create, save and reuse your own drills. Share drills.Go to drills
Add players and register attendance. Team calendar with games and training sessions. Driving schedule.