Basketball drills for defense
- reaching team-mates who are being defended. in the completion of the fast break.
- Against slow players.
- Against long players.
- Passing to the centre
- Attacker/defender start just right of midcourt next to each other.
- Attacker starts on the right.
- Passer behind (coach if necessary). Lob pass, roll or other.
- free play on 1 or 2 baskets, depending on the number of players.
- PURPOSE: Quick passing, cutting, helpside, ballside, boxing-out.
- First team at 5.
- Loser push-ups 6.
- free play on 1 or 2 baskets,
- depending on the number of players.
- NO dribbles only passing.
- The attackers are not allowed to move from their spot.
- They play the ball around and if they get the chance, they try to score
- The defenders have to run They try to prevent a goal from being scored
- When defenders are too static and stand by an attacker, you can do 3 things
- Or force the defenders to run by telling at least one of them to run towards the attacker with the ball
- Or tell the attackers they can take 2 steps.
- Or draw a square on the ground where the attackers can move.
- After 5 attempts, the defenders change with 2 new defenders.
- Centers + Guards + Forwards
- 3 Players
- 1 ball
- -a basket
- -2 Cones
Players must be able to dribble and run a layup
- To finish off an overtime situation in 2-man break.
- train outlet pass
- to train running line flyer
- the defender throws the ball against the board, left or right of the ring
- the attacker on the side of the board takes the outlet position and asks for the ball.
- The flyer sprints away towards the middle line.
- Flyer sprints around the pawn back to the basket.
- outlet dribbles as fast as possible around the other pawn
- the passer sprints to the centre circle, but has 1 foot in there and then goes to defend.
- attackers have 1 goal attempt and max 2 passes.
- the attacker who misses becomes the defender.
- the defender NOT to make any unsportsmanlike mistakes
- defender takes the charge or forces the dribbler to the side of the pitch
- One person shoots free throws.
- Two other players stand behind the one who throws the free throw.
- According to the rules of the game
- Once the ball is gone the three players go for the rebound.
- If the person who made the free throw has the ball, he can make another free throw.
- If he doesn't have the ball, the 2 other players go to the other side of the court to attack, 2 against 1.
- If attacker is pressured by defender then go to free man, otherwise keep going until lay-up.
- The next three players get ready to execute the exercise.
- Players stand ready at the halfway line. The first one has a ball (then 2 without the ball).
- X1 makes lay-up
- X2 takes rebound and passes in (after scoring!)
- X3 runs around the pot and starts defending
- X1 and X2 attack to the other ring
- variation: with 5
- X1 makes lay-up
- X2 takes rebound and gives in (after score!) to X3
- X3 dribbles over, X1 and X2 fill in the outer lines.
- X4 walks around the basket near the baseline and defends.
- X4 runs around the ball at the halfway line (other side) and defends.