Basketball drills for defense
- The players between the cones guard their terrain.
- They must prevent the player with the ball from hitting their gate.
- The player with the ball tries to dribble through the gate.
- When he hits the other side, he may finish with a lay-up.
- After the player is on the other side, everyone moves on.
- Two rows on the side at the height of the center line.
- Ball is on one side, attacker decides when he leaves and runs to the middle line, which he must cross all the way.
- The defender also departs but only has to touch the centre circle.
- Aim of the exercise is to come in front of the attacker as a defender.
- When a goal is made, 3 push-ups for the defender, a miss is 3 push-ups for the attacker.
- With 3 men on the back line and the middle one has a ball.
- The middle one passes to a man and chases the ball.
- The receiver keeps the ball behind him and the one who passed first takes the ball and passes on.
- The person who has the ball behind his back runs behind the ball, picks it up at the receiver and passes on to the other side.
- They do this while running to the basket on the other side.
- If someone is close enough to the basket, the man plays a lay-up.
- Make variations on the passing lines
- Starting from U16
- 2 or 4 centers
- 1 ball per pair
- a basket
- Defending a turn around jump shot
- box out after shot
- stimulate offensive rebound after shot
- attacker turns around his axis and shoots
- Defender brings his body in front of the ball with a slide-step, as close as possible to the body of the attacker.
- keeps both arms straight up (= wall) so that the attacker has less view of the basket and has to adjust his shot slightly to shoot over the outstretched arms
- box out immediately after the shot
- A goal is 1 point
- offensive rebound is 2 points even after a goal
- each player defends 5 times in a row
- loser for each point difference: 2 push-ups
- feet slightly wider than shoulder width
- knees slightly bent
- upper body and arms vertically
- NO batting movement towards the ball
- stand up against the attacker by moving towards the attacker (the upper body remains vertical)
- attacker starts under the ring, with his back to the back line and gives a short bounce pass to himself
- attacker first makes a shoulder fake in the opposite direction just before the shot
- 2 baskets, minimum 5 players per basket needed.
- 1 player left sideline (A) extended free throw line. 1 right (B) same but with ball.
- 1/2 (C) players under the basket. 1 player C sets up on free throw line. Helpside defense stands.
- This player defends striker coming in from left (A) to get ball from passer (B) right.
- Stealing ball, 1 v 1. Attacker scores, back to A. If they do not score, back to B.
- B joins C after passing.
- Two men around the bucket for defense
- Three attackers:
- Attacker 1 passes the ball to attacker 2
- All three attackers pass the ball around until one sees a gap and can get into the bucket
- He adjusts the ball and tries to score
- Up to 5 points, then switch roles and the attacker who has scored least stays in the attack.
- Stopping two feet together, pivoting, lay-up and jumpshot must be known
- When passing, jump towards the ball with feet coming down correctly to start the next movement. (pivoting, start dribble)
1. Coach gives passes from position 1, alternating left and right from under the basket. Give passes where jump-to-the-ball applies.
2. Player starts under the basket (2 groups of 5 to 6 players, of which two/group have a ball) ==> fast; explosive exercise.
3. Run to cone under the basket and quickly pushes himself away towards the cone at spot 2 or 3.
4. Makes movement from the cone to the ball to get the pass and perform a jump-to-the-ball.
5. After getting the ball pivot and attack towards the basket (first lay-up, then shot)
6. After finishing, change sides and pass the ball
- Rapid explosive movement when running free
- correct ball acceptance (show hands) and foot placement
- pivoting and fast attacks without running errors
- Player blue passes to red and sprints to red for a close-out.
- Player red tries to get into the "paint" to score.
- Player blue is going to try to prevent this.
- Either blue can steal the ball
- point for blue
- Either red can score
- point for red
- After a possible goal is score, red takes rebound, passes to the next in line.
- Blue goes to the position of red.
The exercise now starts again with the next players.
- Have players line up on the baseline and assign the players numbers.
- The Drill - the coach rolls or tosses a ball to the center of half court and calls out a number.
- In this case, #4.
- The two players assigned #4 attack the basketball, the player the wins the ball first is on offense and tries to score on the basket by the coach.
- Players are allowed one shot.
- Variations - Call two numbers.