Handball drills for defense
- The players position themselves as indicated on the drawing.
- Just before taking the free throw LO starts in towards the centre, player (from wall) plays pass to MO, wall puts backward bar on defensive block.
- MO puts pressure to the left of UR and plays pass to RO who starts in.
- RO takes advantage of the space and finishes.
- The attacking players must try to outplay the defence on the other side
- Bring up the ball in 2 teams from your own 6 meter area.
- On your own half of the field you encounter 1 defender (stays only on this half of the field).
- On the other half of the field you encounter 2 defenders, but you also have a circle runner offensively.
- Red brings the ball up to the other side and tries to score.
- Pairs start from the back line.
- As soon as red makes a goal attempt, green may start to score a breakout at the opposite side.
- Red defends back.
- When green has taken a goal they have to go back to defend the other two red players.
- These have of course started at the moment that green has taken a goal attempt.
- This exercise can continue in a flowing way, because the players keep coming back to their own side.
- You can do this on time (which group has scored the most goals?) or you can choose who has scored the most goals.
- Blue crosses over,
- Red must try to get rid of the ball.
- Ball away? -> defend until everyone has lost their ball.
- Too easy?
- Extra defenders.
- 3 times a ticker,
- whoever catches the balls in the shortest time is the winner.
- balls all at the center line
- They make 2 teams.
- They all stand in 1 of the 2 corners.
- Then you bounce a ball and they have to move to the goalpost and sprint to you.
- Then you can for example roll the ball away, bounce it.
- Or just hold it and see who gets it first.
- What I often do when 1 person is left, then I let that person catch the balls and keep indicating
- 2 teams, equal numbers
- Possibly without a break
- Possibly without bounce
- Possibly mixed teams
- 2 Builders play the ball to each other at a steady pace, each time making a forward threat.
- The defender performs a correct defensive position.
- Stepping out / running in
- Push sideways / run sideways
- The defenders continuously slide back and forth and provide back cover when attacking on the other side.
Variation: Eventually continue and finish by themselves (one of the trainers can then play the ball)
- Points of attention attack:
- Goal-oriented play.
- Clean passes
- Putting pressure on
- Learn a good feint
- At the end of the training, have the two teams play against each other.
- Coaching them, but letting the game run.
- Pointing out the pressure they have to put on and connecting.