hockey drills for Ball control
- Balls are at the first pilon.
- The player at the first pilon passes the ball to the second pilon,
- who pushes the ball through the pilons to the third person.
- The third person runs in on the ball and runs even further,
- then he pushes the ball to person 4 while he's running.
- Person 4 runs around the pilons and passes the ball at the top of the circle,
- where person 5 has just run up to finish the ball in the goal.
- Player 1 plays the ball to Player 2,
- Player 2 plays the ball to Player 3,
- Player 1 has meanwhile run on to the position of Player 2 only to stand a bit deeper,
- Player 3 plays the ball to Player 1,
- Player 2 ran behind his ball and also went a little deeper,
- Player 1 plays the ball to Player 2,
- Repeat until you reach the goal.
- You start with 3 teams, A, B and C.
- The game will be played on about half a field,
- the ball divider/referee is in the centre of the field in a marked square,
- this square can't be played through.
- There is a goalkeeper in the goal and two goals on the half way line.
- Team A starts defending,
- team B is attacking,
- team C is divided over the 2 small goals.
- Team A has to make sure the ball reaches team C.
- At this moment team B is defending and attacking team C.
- Put the pilons as shown in the figure
- Spread the balls over pilons C and D.
- In this exercise you place a player at pilons C and D.
- The rest of the team will line up at pilon A.
- From A onwards, the player walks around the pilon
- From the post, the player makes a sideways movement facing the ball (facing C).
- Player C plays the ball in the forehand of A
- A takes the ball and turns right open
- A runs in the direction of the circle and finishes at goal.
- From here he runs to D and receives another ball.
- The player turns open to the left and finishes on goal again.
- On the 23 meter line all field players are ready with all balls.
- They play the ball to point D to the left of where a player is ready.
- He plays the ball through and towards the circle to the player from whom he got the ball.
- The player standing at point D calls the player to finish the ball with a backhand or forehand.
- The ball must be hit at the head of the circle on target.
- At point D there are two players and as soon as you have shot on goal you stand in this row.
Passing and scoring
- Each pilon has a player on it.
- Player A plays wide to the left to player B and chases the ball.
- Player B plays the ball diagonally to the right to player C and chases the ball
- Player C plays wide to the left to player D and chases the ball
- Player D plays diagonally to the right the ball to player E and chases after the ball
- Player E takes on and scores with flat / stroke
- Player E continues to the left around the extra pilons (out of practice) back to position A
- Balls start on the left from position B (pilon/position A is omitted), before that a pilon is added to the edge circle (position F).
- player 1 plays the ball from position B diagonally to the right to player 2 at position C and chases the ball
- Player on C plays wide to left to player in position D and chases after the ball
- Player in position D plays the ball diagonally to the right to player E and chases after the ball
- Player in position E plays wide to the left to player in position F and chases the ball
- Player in position F takes on the fh or high bh and scores with a (backhand) stroke and
- Runs outside the exercise to start position (B)
- 2 rows of players behind pilons A and B
- Player 1 plays the ball wide to the left and runs straight to position C
- player 2 takes the ball and plays player 1 diagonally to the right in the fh while running (towards position C) and runs straight ahead towards position D.
- player 1 takes the ball in the fh around position C and plays the ball wide / backwards back to player 2 (towards position D) and runs to position E
- player 2 takes the ball (preferably with fh) and with foot position in direction E and plays the ball diagonally forward back to player 1 (direction E: rather just in the circle / edge circle than behind player 1)
- player 1 takes on and strikes / fats as fast as possible towards goal (do not bring the ball back) and runs outside exercise back to position B
Variation on 2:
- After that player 2 has delivered the ball to player 1 the 2nd time / last time, he / she becomes (passive) defender at the next set
- the defender is not allowed to go into the circle (or rather not even behind the line (position C/D) from where he/she started (position D)
- takes off the ball then floats over a line between position A and B.
- The 2 players that come up stay inside the box (width of pass lines) but are free in construction, they may also cross behind, cross over but no passes in the air (no lifts).
- the No. 1 scores and, just like the defender, runs outside back to another position. The No. 2 becomes defender
- hands apart while controlling
- foot positioning open
- control it for a follow-up pass or even a quick bounce back
- Score after 2 contacts (control, max 1 other touch)
- see hands/feet position/distance from the ball at hitting and flats accents
Field: half field
- Orange has 6 players and blue has 4 players plus a goalkeeper.
- After a self pass, the first player of team orange passes to the right player (2) or left player (3).
- Then Orange plays in the central part of the field a 6:4+gk.
- At interception by Blue, Blue then scores in one of the goals (A/B) on the side between the 23 meter line and center line.
- Start over after a goal is scored, after the ball goes over the back line/middle line or after a maximum of 3 interceptions
Tips Ball possession
- Take an open control
- Keep depth as six (play in 3 or 4 lines).
- Make the playing field wide.
Tips Not In Ball Possession
- Slow down the attack by chanelling.
- Keep pressure on the one in ball possession (1 sticklength distance).
- Goalkeeper: coach your team-mates briefly and concisely.
At Loss of Ball:
- In the event of ball loss, apply pressure directly to the player in possession.
- Quickly regroup between player in possession and own goal.
In case of ball gain:
- Choose to pass the ball.
- Walk out of the duel after winning the ball.
Make it easier
- Changing the number of players: Orange with 5 players against Blue with 3+keeper.
Make it more difficult
- Third goal at center line (just before the starting position of Orange player 1).
- Divide the team into three groups per line.
- As stroke technique only allow: push, slide and short strokes.
- The strike force must be fast and HARD
- Assuming the ball remains in the stick (the stick should move slightly backwards).
- via a pilon pattern from the center line, the group must bring 3 balls from the center line to the 23 mtr line and bring them into the circle.
- One of the group members must receive the ball in the circle in the scoring zone and try to score.
- Player 1 runs with the ball to the circle and shoots
- Player 4 plays the ball to the left where player 2 and defender 1 are running in (2v1)
- Player 4 plays the ball to the right where player 3 and defender 2 come running in (3v2)
- Player 4 runs with a ball into the circle and finishes off the attack (4v2)
For the trainer: Yoursportplanner one
Easily create training sessions and save them. View the sessions in the mobile app.Go to training sessions
Search existing drills. Create, save and reuse your own drills. Share drills.Go to drills
Add players and register attendance. Team calendar with games and training sessions. Driving schedule.