Hockey drills for defense
- A starts with the ball and wants to score with their team in the small goal
- The 2 defenders want to take the ball away and score in 1 of the 2 small goals
- Task of the attackers is to play the ball to the free player
- take the forehand, turn away and accelerate
- A starts with the ball and pushes it to B
- B receives the ball with his forehand
- Turns away and accelerates drifting around the cones
- Shoots at goal with a flat ball
- A starts with the ball and push the ball to B
- B takes the ball and pushes it back to A
- B runs around the cone
- A gives a lift pass to B who offers himself for the ball from A.
- B takes the ball and shoots at goal with a flat.
- 1 on 1
- A starts with the ball and is the defender
- A pushes the ball to B, B is the attacker
- B wants to score in the red goal (this is the backhand side of the opponent)
- A would rather have the opponent go to the other side
- Let them start hitting in such a way that you push your opponent towards their forehand
Offering in depth
- A starts with the ball and gives a push to B
- B receives the ball and sees that C is running in depth
- B gives a push to C
- C takes the ball and shoots at goal with a flat.
- 2v1 with pass in depth
- A starts with the ball and drives towards the pawn
- From then on the defender can try to take the ball away from A
- A and B want to score in the goal together
- Ideally, you want them to run and hit the ball from deep
- Let them try a few times and then explain what you want to see as the coach
- Exercise B+C
- B is about the left
- C is over the right
- A1 dribbles with ball to A2
- B guides player A, at 1,5 meter, backwards (open position).
- This is about footwork, so when A arrives at A2 he just lets A strike at goal.
- After the hit, A leaves the circle. B turns around and gets a ball from C. B takes a closed approach, turns open and plays the ball.
- B takes a closed approach, turns open and rounds the goal.
- Then the exercise starts on the right.
1 v 1
- Make a square from 5m-5m and play a 1v1. the defender is only allowed to defend with his body so no stick.
- Focus on defence.
- Use your body to force them to go to your strong side.
- When you push them to the side make a block tackle.
- Block tackle is always on the forehand, 2 hands on the stick and step forward.
- Stick is on the ground.
- Make a small square 1m-1m.
- The defender is inside the square and the attacker tries to get the ball inside the square.
- The defender use the jab to defend his square.
- You jab with your stick to the ball.
- Left foot in front and right food in the back (not flat fooded).
- Use your stick as poke.
High tempo switching in a match form.
- 3 teams (blue, red & white);
- Each team consists of 3, 4 or 5 players;
- Attacking team (A) has 1 player in excess (so 3:2, 4:3 ...);
- One player of the defending team (B) stands in the box next to the trainer;
- Non-playing team (C) stands at the centre line;
- When A has scored, they defend with n-1 men;
- Team B sets up at the half way line and then attacks.
- Left-right alternate.
- Coach puts ball in play.
- Turn over:
- Attack on the left: Blue attacks, white defends, red is ready on the right (II)
- Attack on right: Blue defends (n-1), Red attacks, White prepares on left (I)
- Attack over left: White attacks, Red defends (n-1), Blue stands ready (II)
- First pass wide
- players moves the ball inside other attacker move outside
- 2 options walking inside passing outside
- Player 1 runs with the ball to the head circle and hits the goal
- Player 4 plays the ball to the left where player 2 and defender 1 come running in (2v1)
- Player 4 plays the ball to the right where player 3 and defender 2 come running in (3v2)
- Player 4 runs with a ball into the circle and plays off the attack (4v2)
- There are at least 2 teams
- The field is the 23, from marker to other marker
- You may shoot on goal from any position in the field if not dangerous
- After 2 goals by the same team the losing team switches (After 3 wins the winning team switches)