Hockey drills for defense
- The trainer (T) rolls the ball (1) to one of the four front players (for example A).
- Player A receiving the ball (2) plays a duel with player V1 opposite him.
- The goal is to score the ball at the opponent's goal.
- If V1 manages to intercept the ball, he plays it to V2.
- Now V2 may try to score with player B.
- After a goal, the form of play starts over again.
Making it easier
- Play a 1-1 duel on the two fields for a few minutes, after a goal, the substitute player comes into play.
Make it more difficult
- After the ball is taken by V1, V1 and V2 may try to score against player A (now it has become a 2-1 game).
- A has to defend.
- If A takes the ball, he plays it to player B.
- Player A and B play a 2-2 duel on players V1 and V2.
- It works just like a normal game only now there's a square in the middle.
- If a shot or other foul is made, or if the ball has been out of bounds, the trainer throws/plays in a new ball from inside the square.
- The ball does not necessarily go to the same team or at the place where the foul was made.
- The size of the field depends on the number of players.
- You start with 3 teams, A, B and C.
- The game will be played on about half a field,
- the ball divider/referee is in the centre of the field in a marked square,
- this square can't be played through.
- There is a goalkeeper in the goal and two goals on the half way line.
- Team A starts defending,
- team B is attacking,
- team C is divided over the 2 small goals.
- Team A has to make sure the ball reaches team C.
- At this moment team B is defending and attacking team C.
Passing and scoring
- Each pilon has a player on it.
- Player A plays wide to the left to player B and chases the ball.
- Player B plays the ball diagonally to the right to player C and chases the ball
- Player C plays wide to the left to player D and chases the ball
- Player D plays diagonally to the right the ball to player E and chases after the ball
- Player E takes on and scores with flat / stroke
- Player E continues to the left around the extra pilons (out of practice) back to position A
- Balls start on the left from position B (pilon/position A is omitted), before that a pilon is added to the edge circle (position F).
- player 1 plays the ball from position B diagonally to the right to player 2 at position C and chases the ball
- Player on C plays wide to left to player in position D and chases after the ball
- Player in position D plays the ball diagonally to the right to player E and chases after the ball
- Player in position E plays wide to the left to player in position F and chases the ball
- Player in position F takes on the fh or high bh and scores with a (backhand) stroke and
- Runs outside the exercise to start position (B)
- 2 rows of players behind pilons A and B
- Player 1 plays the ball wide to the left and runs straight to position C
- player 2 takes the ball and plays player 1 diagonally to the right in the fh while running (towards position C) and runs straight ahead towards position D.
- player 1 takes the ball in the fh around position C and plays the ball wide / backwards back to player 2 (towards position D) and runs to position E
- player 2 takes the ball (preferably with fh) and with foot position in direction E and plays the ball diagonally forward back to player 1 (direction E: rather just in the circle / edge circle than behind player 1)
- player 1 takes on and strikes / fats as fast as possible towards goal (do not bring the ball back) and runs outside exercise back to position B
Variation on 2:
- After that player 2 has delivered the ball to player 1 the 2nd time / last time, he / she becomes (passive) defender at the next set
- the defender is not allowed to go into the circle (or rather not even behind the line (position C/D) from where he/she started (position D)
- takes off the ball then floats over a line between position A and B.
- The 2 players that come up stay inside the box (width of pass lines) but are free in construction, they may also cross behind, cross over but no passes in the air (no lifts).
- the No. 1 scores and, just like the defender, runs outside back to another position. The No. 2 becomes defender
- hands apart while controlling
- foot positioning open
- control it for a follow-up pass or even a quick bounce back
- Score after 2 contacts (control, max 1 other touch)
- see hands/feet position/distance from the ball at hitting and flats accents
Field: half field
- Orange has 6 players and blue has 4 players plus a goalkeeper.
- After a self pass, the first player of team orange passes to the right player (2) or left player (3).
- Then Orange plays in the central part of the field a 6:4+gk.
- At interception by Blue, Blue then scores in one of the goals (A/B) on the side between the 23 meter line and center line.
- Start over after a goal is scored, after the ball goes over the back line/middle line or after a maximum of 3 interceptions
Tips Ball possession
- Take an open control
- Keep depth as six (play in 3 or 4 lines).
- Make the playing field wide.
Tips Not In Ball Possession
- Slow down the attack by chanelling.
- Keep pressure on the one in ball possession (1 sticklength distance).
- Goalkeeper: coach your team-mates briefly and concisely.
At Loss of Ball:
- In the event of ball loss, apply pressure directly to the player in possession.
- Quickly regroup between player in possession and own goal.
In case of ball gain:
- Choose to pass the ball.
- Walk out of the duel after winning the ball.
Make it easier
- Changing the number of players: Orange with 5 players against Blue with 3+keeper.
Make it more difficult
- Third goal at center line (just before the starting position of Orange player 1).
- Player 1 runs with the ball to the circle and shoots
- Player 4 plays the ball to the left where player 2 and defender 1 are running in (2v1)
- Player 4 plays the ball to the right where player 3 and defender 2 come running in (3v2)
- Player 4 runs with a ball into the circle and finishes off the attack (4v2)
- jab: take your stick in your left hand and poke the bal or close to the ball to put pressure on the bal.
- left food forward right food back
- move quick forward and back
- forse them to one side ( FH side)
- pick up the speed of the attacker
- change body postion to force them outside
- follow the attacker and make a steal Fh or save backhand
- block tackle:
- step in to the bal
- sit low with your stick on forehand side
- mostly after jab you block tackle