Volleyball drills for all skills
- Make a step backwards with your right foot from an upright position.
- Turn your torso towards your left knee, while you reach up as far as possible with your right hand.
- Turn back, get back up again, and repeat the same movement with the other side of your body.
- Repeat these movements a number of times.
- Take a large step forward with your right foot from an upright position
- Put your left hand on the ground, at a shoulder's width distance beside your right foot, and divide your weight over your left hand and right foot.
- Bend your right arm, and bring your right elbow to the ground between your left hand and your right foot.
- Put your right hand next to your right foot. Do this on the outside, and not on the side here you previously had placed your elbow.
- Raise your hips, stretch both legs, and have your right foot point upwards.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the same movement with your left foot and right hand.
- Repeat these movements a number of times
- Trainer throws the ball, player catches the ball and puts it in the cart.
- Then the player goes to the ladder, goes through it, and joins the next line.
- Throw difficult balls (left and right, front and back).
- Play underhand for themselves and catch.
- Two players get ready next to each other and have to call let go.
- A setupper is added who has to catch the underhand ball.
- An attacker is added who has to play the setupper's ball over the net.
- Make trios
- Each trio has a ball.
- Player in the middle keeps running an 8. Every time this player comes in the middle, a ball is thrown:
- A throws (or plays overarm) the ball to B (in the middle)
- B throws the ball underhand back to A and then runs around A until he is back in the middle.
- Meanwhile, A plays the ball to C
- C returns the ball overarm to B.
- B plays the ball underhand back to C and then runs around C until he is back in the middle.
- after 2-3 minutes the player in the middle is changed.
- To make it simpler, player A and C can throw instead of playing overarm. Could be underhand throwing/catching or overarm throwing/catching.
- To practice standing still when playing/throwing, player B can throw and catch underhand.
- The team is divided in 2 groups.
- Place a group on both sides of the net.
- 1 side will serve, the other side positions 3 passers
- They try to pass the ball high and this has to be caught on their own side.
- Servers take turns.
- A new passer will enter the field to replace the one who has caught the ball.
2 They play until 10 points. The servers score a point if the ball is not caught. The passers get a point if it is caught. Incorrect service does not count. After a round, they switch sides.deround with 2 passers instead of 3.
Divide over 3m line. Throw ball in zig-zag pattern and follow. See picture.
Later, play underhand, only overarm. One side of the net underhand, other side overarm.
- this exercise, the attackers get the mission to immediately score with their attack. The defense has to prevent this of course.
A permanent playmaker is used. A number of attackers is on one side of the playing field with a ball. They play the ball to the playmaker, who will give the set up for the attacker.
If the attacker scores, he joins the back of the line of attackers (as reward). If the attacker does not score, he has to defend. Rotating happens in the following way. attacker - A - B - C - D - attacker.
In defense, A is the blocker.
Make it clear upfront what immediate scoring means: ball on the ground, even if there is no playable defense.
- permanent playmaker
- line of attackers with ball plays ball to sv
- Set-up to attacker 1
- If attack scores, join line attackers
- Otherwise attacker 1 to A - B - C- D- attacker
- In defense: A = blocker, BCD= back
The four quart fields have been numbered (see triangles in picture) The goal is to reach field 1 as a team by not making any mistakes!
The game begins with bringing the ball into the field. This can be done by the trainer, but also a player can throw the ball over the net.
The pair that receives the ball plays the ball over the net by playing three times (mandatory!) etc..
The team that makes a mistake leaves the field (in case of 5 teams) or goes to field four (in case of 4 teams).
The other teams rotate a field.
So when the team in field two makes a mistake, they leave the field, field 3 rotates to field 2, field 4 to field 3, and the fifth team goes to field 4 .
After 10 minutes the game stops, and the team in field 1 is the winner!
Improving the pass by positioning the shoulders in the playing direction
Pay close attention in exercises:
- Pass has to be high so player can catch ball 'overarm'.
- Pass to the right, right foot forward
- Pass to the left, left foot forward
- 'Eyes' of the shoulders in playing direction
- trios with 1 ball
- 1 an 2 are next to each other, not too close to the net.
- 3 is opposite 1, in the back of the field.
- 1 throws straight to 3, and 3 throws diagonally to 2.
- 2 catches and throws straight to 3, and 3 throws diagonally to 1.
- 3 keeps moving.