Volleyball drills for attack / smash / spike / hitting
If volleyball players think they are starting the attack pass to soon, or the trainer thinks the attackers come in too soon, this is a good exercise.
The playmaker is positioned with a box of balls. He has to throw up the ball for himself 5 times or less. The attackers doe not know how often this happens, and can only leave when the set-up is done, not before.
The attackers will have to come in more aggressively, building up more speed and thus more height, if there is a good brake pass.
If this goes well, the trainer can decide to move the playmaker closer to the attackers, so the distance the set-upper has to cover is shortened. The attackers have to be even more alert.
- Everybody 1 ball, and hit the wall via the ground.
- Hit the ball so clamp wrist around the ball.
- Think about exit and raise both arms in the air.
- 3 to 4 players, 1 ball, entire field 3 to 4 players
- Lower net, and then match hitting ball over the net
- The other is trying to catch
- The ball can bounce 1 time and the other tries to catch (can also catch immediately)
- After catching, throw to other player and smash again
- If the ball is not caught, you have a point
- pairs with net in between and 1 ball
- Make last 2 steps of attack run (large step + connecting step)
- Throw ball up with both hands
- and hit ball underneath the net
- 1 hand points to the ball
- the other hand hits
- clamp wrist around ball
- The other catches the ball and does the same.
make attack run:
- Right handed: left, right,left
- Left handed: right, left , right
Players sorted on length
- lower the net on one side
- player throws the ball to trainer
- trainer holds ball up
- players hit the ball out of the trainer's hands
- keep to your side of the net
pay attention to the run, not the shot
- you jump with your arms!
- you hit with your stomach!
- Players each have a ball and
- make an attacking jump towards the net holding the ball.
- When they reach the net they have to raise the ball behind their heads, jump and throw the ball over the net.
- Pay attention:
- proper posture
- proper height
- properly lift arms
- ball in
- probably a bit lower for beginning players to increase success factor.
- pairs with 1 ball.
- Net in between.
- Serve ball with two hands, and send it via the ground, underneath the net, to player 2