Volleyball drills for block / net defense
- On one side you attack with three attackers, on the other side you defend.
- Trainer throws balls for the playmaker
- Cabinet part at good height.
- Push off with 2 feet and jump to the back of the box.
- Variation: after jumping backwards, to pass the attack ball.
- Variation: after jumping from the box, block on smash, backwards to pass the attacking ball.
- Pairs stand on 2 and 3.
- First a block single (pay attention, after block jump down and back, for defense), then calmly back to the net, then second jump together on 2, so 3 connects.
- Then connect under the net, group.
- Other side the same, only trainer smashed against the block at second jump.
Blockboard at position 4 - street (two squares next to the antenna) - cone on 3 meter line
- Lene at position 3
- Receptionist at position 5 and attacker at position 4
- Attacker joins reception
Trainer passes ball to reception player
- Reception to setter
- Walk around cone
- Solve ball to play over net
Bad reception = compulsory play in block board
- Position 5 takes cover
- Play ball back to setter
- Pass and attack
- 6 players on one side of the net.
- 1 playmaker on the other side at right back
- 3 strikers +Tim as passer
- Joël throws in balls to Tim.
- Tim passes the ball to the playmaker, who chooses which attacker to pass to. The attacker can choose whether to hit or to place a passed ball behind the block.
starting position by showing chalk drawings on the ground for defending.
Warming up / all-round training
Each player will pass, attack, distribute, block, defend, rally, with turnovers.
- Trainer stands with cart with balls at the pole at #2 (position 2)
- Players stand outside the field at the side of #1 and a playmaker at # 2/3
- First round starts with Trainer throwing the ball to #5, player 1 runs from the sideline to the ball and plays it to the distributor.
- Start with "blue players" (see drawing), then extend with "red players
Further course of play:
- Tr throws ball for S1 to #5
- S1 runs in and plays to Sv (#2/3)
- Sv gives setup to the outside (#4)
- S1 attacks.
- Turn over: S1 becomes Sv, Sv gets the ball and joins the line at #1.
- Sv turns to the other side of the net and becomes a blocker.
Now the same steps as above, but with the block opposite the attacker.
- Turn over: S1 (has just attacked) becomes Sv at #2/3, Sv
passes under the net and becomes B1 at #2B1
who, after blocking, goes to get the ball and joins the row.
- After blocking at #2, player goes to defend at #5. Attacker is obliged to pass to #5.
- When the ball is defended a rally may be played (2 vs. 2)
- After end of rally or no defence or fault in attack, turn over
Extend 3 and more
- One can extend with a 2nd blocker, 2nd and 3rd defender (on resp. #1 and #6)
- More players can be added to field I (so players from the sideline move in when a rally arises)
- The passing game becomes S1 (passing and attacking) -> Sv -> B1 (#3) -> B2 (#2) -> V1 (#1) -> V2 (#6) -> V3 (#5) possibly A2 (#4) and then connect again.
- You can expand to 6 against 6, so start with blue, then B1, then B2, then V1, then V2 (when continuing the game, first V2 and then V1), then V3 (continuing the game with V2, V3, V1) and then possibly A1. In the meantime, players in field I must be added.
- If there are several players in Area I, you can choose to throw in a ball on S1 at #5 instead of throwing in a ball through Tr.
- The players all stand side by side at the net
- with their faces turned to the net
- and in the proper position to want to block,
- so elbows and hands at the right height.
- The coach throws a ball from the other side of the net to the players and they each take their turn to block their thrown ball.
- Everyone ball and distribute along two sides of the net.
- Gather at the right post
- Block displacement with one small step: during the block balls tap each other
- After the first move, switch sides
- Block move with one big step: during the block balls tap each other
- Move the block with two small steps in a row: during the block, balls tap each other.
- Block displacement with two big steps: during the block balls tap each other
- Block displacement with first small step and then big step: during the block balls tap each other
- Block displacement with an exit: during the block balls tap each other
Blockers 1 and 2 start on positions 2 and 4. Blocker 3 at position 3
Blockers 1, 2 and 3 block when trainer says 'YES'.
Blocker at position 3 move to the right (position 2)
And together with blocker at position 2 make a perfect closed block.
Other blocker moves to the middle.
Blocker at position 4, 3 and 2 block when trainer says 'YES'.
Blocker at position 3 moves to the left (position 4)
And together with blocker at position 4 create a perfect closed block.