Volleyball drills for defense / passing / digging / diving / reception
- players form pairs
- 1 player stands ready to defend the ball, other player stands behind with a ball
- at a moment the player in the back throws the ball with a small curve over ( left or right ) the player in front.
- This player tries to get the ball up for the second bots ( fist under the ball or ducking ).
- The intention is that players react to an unexpected situation.
- Place 3 pawns around a player.
- 1 to the left, 1 to the right and 1 behind (working player)
- Another player, with the ball, is going to indicate to which pawn the working player has to move (good posture = hands loose in front of the body).
- At an unexpected moment, the player with the ball throws the ball (preferably not too easy) and the intention is that the working player defends the ball.
- Repeat this a few times and then change players.
- Player T.A. from the net:
- 3 teams on the back line on the belly
- Player gives slap on ball, 3 players stand up and trainer attacks one of the trio defends, nr. 2 setup and nr. 3 attacks
- then next 3 team
- Andre side are 3 blockers.
- Slide through per 3 team
Attacking at position 4, blocking at pos 2 on the other side (if there are enough players also blocking at pos 3), defending at pos 1 and 6. After defending, the ball is caught by the blocker.
- 1 sv
- Defenders remain standing
- Attacker becomes a blocker on pos. 2, if also a blocker on pos. 3, the blocker stays standing.
- After 5 minutes the defenders (and blockers) change.
- Attack at pos. 2 and 3, blocking at pos. 3 and 4 (if 1 blocker stands where the attack is going on), defence at pos. 5 and 6.
Learning the pancake roll in 5 exercises:
1. dry practise, step-by-step (repeat 5 times) (
below describes a roll to the right; swap right/left for a roll to the left) - start position
underhand pass (sit low)
- step out one leg (right) to the side and bend the knee very deeply -
right) hand over the ground diagonally right to the front (pancake)
- sink through until the right hip is on the ground -
swing the legs
over the hips to the other side - during the swing
stretched (left) leg and stretch the bent (right) leg - by the speed of the swing turn through
so that you come back in the underhand pass position
2. Get used to it (is also good to use as a warming-up exercise) -
start on the sideline facing the net -
roll to the other sideline in three times
roll back to the
first sideline in three times
(or walk back if you want to learn the roll in one direction first)
3. gaining experience (repeat 5 times) -
pairs with 1 ball - thrower with
ball near the net, defender at 6 or 7 meter
- throw the ball, so that it lands on the ground 2 meters next to and 1 meter in front of the defender
- the defender tries to hit the ball with a pancake roll (the roll is first more important than hitting the ball)
4. get accuracy -
trio or quartet with 2 or 3 balls (1 defender, the rest is throwing) - the throwers
stand on LV, MV and possibly on RV, the defender stands on the sideline (LA)
- the LV throws the ball so that it lands on the ground 2 metres next to and 1 metre in front of the defender - the
defender tries to hit the ball with a pancake roll
- as soon as the defender has finished the roll, the MV throws the ball so that it lands on the ground 2 metres next to and 1 metre in front of the defender
- the defender tries to hit this ball with a pancake roll as well
- as soon as the defender has finished the roll, the LV throws the ball so that it lands on the ground 2 metres next to and 1 metre in front of the defender again - the defender tries to hit
this ball with a pancake roll as well - after 5 times the
players rotate through on position
5. roll in both directions -
trio with 2 balls (2 throwers, 1 defender) - the throwers
stand on LV and MV, the defender stands on the sideline (LA)
- the MV throws the ball so that it hits the ground on the right side, 2 metres next to and 1 metre in front of the defender
- the defender tries to hit the ball with a pancake roll to the right
- as soon as the defender has finished the roll, the LV throws the ball so that it lands on the ground on the left side at 2 metres next to and 1 metre in front of the defender - the
defender tries to hit this ball with a pancake roll to the left - after 5 times the players
turn around in
- 4 at the back line and 4 at the net with the ball.
- You pass on the left after the action you dive to the back line.
- And then turn right.
- 2 teams,
- 1 with ball at the net,
- 1 without ball on the backline flat on belly.
- player at the net bounces the ball, player two catches/OH to the net player.
- after that change positions
- 2 teams(6,8,10 or 12 players)
- 1 person in the field.
- Other players stand behind the back line in the waiting room.
- T puts ball in play in field A or B.
- You may only play the ball underarm.
- After playing the ball, step out and someone in the waiting room takes your place.
- If you make a mistake, the opponent gets a point.
- first round = throwing (freeball)
- second round = technical hit (hit freeball) --> short ball can already be a dived ball
- third round = hard hit --> short ball almost impossible to catch