Volleyball drills for defense / passing / digging / diving / reception
- A stands at the net B between the 2 cones,
- A tips the ball towards the first cone, B moves sideways and defends back to A.
- A then tips the ball to the other cone etc.
- A player initially stands on position 6
- from the moment the first ball for attack is given on the other side, the player shifts to the back,
- Attacker plays the ball deep at position 1 or 5. Player defends the ball to the receiver (T).
- When 3 balls are good, they move on.
See picture. Each 3 players 2 balls. 2 players at the net a few meters apart, other player on the 3-m line and shuffle always from front to back: first r-for then l-for.
- Exercise 1: Players take turns throwing the ball, player in the backfield plays the ball back underhand.
- Exercise 2: First ball comes deep (BH return), 2nd ball comes short (OH return) - must be catchable!
- Exercise 3: Throwers stand a little further apart and throw straight: player with ball on the sideline throws deep, other short (not catchable)
- Exercise 4: player with ball on the sideline does an intermediate test and then gives a deep ball, player in the field takes this ball OH and plays it to player B at the net. Player B can then immediately return a ball on the 3-meter line or test the ball to the player on the sideline and then the exercise starts again.
After x-number of balls or after a certain time swap places.
- Divide the group into pairs.
- Have one person of the pair start at the net, while the others take place on the back line.
- The persons on the backline make sure they have a ball and possibly a spare ball.
- The persons at the net are going to make a block jump, after which they immediately turn around to defend a ball from the person on the back line. This ball can be tapped, hit or played into the court.
It is therefore important to turn around immediately after the block and to look at the situation. They should also be careful not to step in too quickly, in connection with a possible passed ball.
Let the people at the net defend 10 balls, after which they are exchanged.
- 2 against 2
- Trainer throws/strikes the ball from the side.
- 2nd ball obligatory overhead,
- attack punched.
- Defense etc.
- Loser leaves the field,
- Winner changes half.
- A serves to B.
- B passes the ball to the playmaker, who then plays a high ball into the backfield.
- B defends this ball back to the playmaker, who then gives a setup for A.
- A attacks on this setup.
After the attack, A takes B's place and B becomes a reserve. The playmaker stays.
The outfield attackers use the left half of the court with one playmaker. The middle attackers and diagonal attackers use the right half with another playmaker.
- After the service, A takes a second ball.
- After B's attack A throws this ball into the field.
- B plays this ball to the playmaker, the playmaker gives a setup.
- B attacks again.
Trainer throws ball to defender, there are 3 rows of attackers at position 2, 3 and 4 ready. SV chooses a striker. Attackers pay attention to their run-up and arms.
The purpose of the exercise is twofold: the defender must learn to 'read' where the attacker is going to hit and the attacker must look where the defence is before hitting.
We work with two regular playmakers, on both sides of the field a row of attackers on the left-for position. And two defenders, who may choose where they position themselves on the field. A defender has to defend the attack 10 times, preferably a nice pass, but touching is enough. If the attacker hits the net or leaves the field, that also counts. And the attackers may only smash, no prick balls! After the attack, the attacker retrieves the ball and joins the other row. The attacker who defends the ball at the 10th time takes the place of the defender. The defender will then of course attack.
- 8 - 10 players
- enough balls
If there are less players, the exercise can also be done, but then on one side. The attacker retrieves the ball and joins the same line.
The blocker joins in, indicates where he is going to block and the mid-back goes to his place.
3 gives setup on 1 and 1 attacks on 2. 2 defends to 3, 3 gives setup on 2 and 2 attacks on 1, 1 defends on 3 and it starts all over again.
- the coach is at the net.
- 1 person in the field.
- the trainer throws difficult balls
- the person in the field has to touch the balls 3 times in a row.
- if he/she does not do this, you continue until he/she succeeds.
- The rest of the players stand around the field to catch the balls and put them back in the cart.