Volleyball drills for general
- Group split into two groups of 5, field divided into two halves'.
- on each side a bench on the back line with cones on it. (opposite sides)
- 3 players leave on the back line, 1 reserve, 1 service on other side of the field.
- A serve is given to the three players: reception - pass - touch over net.
- when the player has played the ball the players walk to the side where the bench is: reception - pass - hit to the cones
- Which team hits the most cones off the bench?
- Split the group into pairs.
- The pairs will work through a number of stations, where different tasks have to be performed.
- Station 1: A slalom through several poles, with an underhand pass at the end of the slalom.
- Move as fast as possible between the poles.
- Station 2: One player lies down on the backline, while the other stands at the net with the ball.
- Player at the net hits the ball.
- Player in the backfield then stands up, and defends a hit ball at 7 meters, or a prik ball at the 3 meter.
- Station 3: Player stands in front of a trampoline, behind player 1 stands a second player with 2 tennis balls.
- One tennis ball is thrown into the trampoline, player 1 catches it before it hits the ground.
- The second tennisball is thrown quickly after it.
- Station 4: Simple, good block jumps, paying attention to the technique.
- Station 5: Reflex training: player stands with arms outstretched, a ball in each hand.
- Player 2 faces the other player, and reacts to the release of one of the balls.
- Do not make the distance between players too great to begin with.
- Each station has a working time of 1 minute.
- The ball is played overhand along the net, after playing go around the pylon and join at the other side
- The ball is passed in the middle, after playing it, the player blocks it 2x, after that around the pylon play again
- On one side you attack with three attackers, on the other side you defend.
- Trainer throws balls for the playmaker
- Play a game of volley tennis against each other.
- At lower levels the ball is allowed to bounce once, at higher levels it can be played in one go.
- As soon as you lose a point you have to run circles around the court.
- Until 2 remain, these play a final.
- The players are in pairs, one player on each side of the net.
- Both players have a ball.
- One player throws the ball underarms with outstretched arms over the net and the other rolls the ball under the net to the other side.
- Extension: play a key to catch the ball and roll it under the net again.
- Catch the ball with a key and roll it to the opposite side of the net.
- You can extend this exercise and make it more difficult.
- 4 Swedish benches are placed in a square.
- A maximum of balls are placed in the square.
- 2 or 3 players stand in the square and try to throw as many balls as possible out of the square during one minute.
- The other players of the team run after the balls and throw them back into the square.
- After one minute the team checks how many balls are still in the square.
Warming up / all-round training
Each player will pass, attack, distribute, block, defend, rally, with turnovers.
- Trainer stands with cart with balls at the pole at #2 (position 2)
- Players stand outside the field at the side of #1 and a playmaker at # 2/3
- First round starts with Trainer throwing the ball to #5, player 1 runs from the sideline to the ball and plays it to the distributor.
- Start with "blue players" (see drawing), then extend with "red players
Further course of play:
- Tr throws ball for S1 to #5
- S1 runs in and plays to Sv (#2/3)
- Sv gives setup to the outside (#4)
- S1 attacks.
- Turn over: S1 becomes Sv, Sv gets the ball and joins the line at #1.
- Sv turns to the other side of the net and becomes a blocker.
Now the same steps as above, but with the block opposite the attacker.
- Turn over: S1 (has just attacked) becomes Sv at #2/3, Sv
passes under the net and becomes B1 at #2B1
who, after blocking, goes to get the ball and joins the row.
- After blocking at #2, player goes to defend at #5. Attacker is obliged to pass to #5.
- When the ball is defended a rally may be played (2 vs. 2)
- After end of rally or no defence or fault in attack, turn over
Extend 3 and more
- One can extend with a 2nd blocker, 2nd and 3rd defender (on resp. #1 and #6)
- More players can be added to field I (so players from the sideline move in when a rally arises)
- The passing game becomes S1 (passing and attacking) -> Sv -> B1 (#3) -> B2 (#2) -> V1 (#1) -> V2 (#6) -> V3 (#5) possibly A2 (#4) and then connect again.
- You can expand to 6 against 6, so start with blue, then B1, then B2, then V1, then V2 (when continuing the game, first V2 and then V1), then V3 (continuing the game with V2, V3, V1) and then possibly A1. In the meantime, players in field I must be added.
- If there are several players in Area I, you can choose to throw in a ball on S1 at #5 instead of throwing in a ball through Tr.