Volleyball drills for passing / defense / reception
- Everyone on one position, we don't play center.
- Basically you play a small game, with only rallies.
- At each round you walk the lines as an outside attacker, walk from the front of the net to the three meter line to defend the balls within the three meter.
- At every rally that goes well over the net, you rotate one spot.
- See picture.
- Take turns throwing the ball.
- After throwing the ball touch the back line and return to the same spot.
- Throwing good?
- Then everything underhand. Later all above hands.
- Receptionists line up with 3 in the backfield.
- From the other side there is a save, emphasis is on reception and attack, not difficult save.
- Ball is played centrally to playmaker, pass goes to position 4 or 2.
- After the attack move to the serve. First server replaces the player who took the reception.
- Expansion :
- Playmaker at the net in combination with opposit or central striker.
- On both sides of the net 1 person in the field.
- throw the ball over the net, try to score
- Get back in line.
- Touch the back line after you have been there.
- If this goes well try underhand
- With a pair 1 ball,
- First play up for yourself, then play to your pair. Overhand and underhand combination doesn't matter.
- After 5 minutes play above and underhand.
- 1 defender starts behind the back line
- C plays high ball in the field
- 1 comes in and plays overhead to S
- S sets up backwards to 4
- attack straight ahead, attacker gets the ball
- 1 becomes attacker and 2 defender
VARIATION: attack on other position, with block, defense
- A serves to B.
- B passes the ball to the playmaker, who then plays a high ball into the backfield.
- B defends this ball back to the playmaker, who then gives a setup for A.
- A attacks this setup.
- A lines up at the other side who defends the ball and has to score.
After the attack, A takes B's place and B becomes a reserve. The playmaker stays.
The outside attackers use the left half of the field with one playmaker. The middle attackers and diagonal attackers use the right half with another playmaker.
- After the service, A takes a second ball.
- After B's attack A throws this ball into the field.
- B plays this ball to the playmaker, the playmaker gives a setup.
- B attacks again.
- Player A throws/strikes the ball towards player C.
- Player C passes the ball to player B.
- Player B sets up the ball.
- Player C attacks if the pass was good.
Goal: Try to attack/play 3rd ball on the imaginary mats (straight or diagonal).
After each ball: A to row position C, C to row position A, B change after a while.
Extension: With enough players one-woman block.
See picture. Each 3 (or 4) players 2 balls. 2 players at the net a few meters apart, other player(s) in the backfield.
- Exercise 1: Players take turns throwing the ball, player in the backfield plays the ball back underarm.
- Exercise 2: First ball comes deep, 2nd ball comes short
- Exercise 3: Throwers stand a little further apart and throw straight: player with ball on the sideline throws deep, other short. Passer moves left/right.
After x-number of balls or after some time swap places.