Volleyball drills for passing / defense / reception
See picture. Each 3 (or 4) players 2 balls. 2 players at the net a few meters apart, other player(s) in the backfield.
- Exercise 1: Players take turns throwing the ball, player in the backfield plays the ball back underarm.
- Exercise 2: First ball comes deep, 2nd ball comes short
- Exercise 3: Throwers stand a little further apart and throw straight: player with ball on the sideline throws deep, other short. Passer moves left/right.
After x-number of balls or after some time swap places.
- 2 rows of players
- 1 row on the left back
- 1 row at the right back
- 1 catch
- Pass left and right
- Pass to receiver
- Ball in ball bin, join shortest row
- Passer becomes receiver
- Passing, overhand pass
- Pass, underhand pass
- Tackle, underhand pass
- Tackle, pass, set, attack
- Tackle, pass, set, attack straight, with block
- Tackle, pass, set, placed ball diagonally, within 3 meters (blockers come off the net), pass to trainer
- Pass, set, attack (shot) straight ahead, with block and line player
- Pass, set, jump ball, with 3 meter defender
- See picture.
- Take turns throwing the ball.
- After throwing the ball touch the back line and walk to the next spot.
- Throwing good?
- Then everything underhand.
- Later all above hands.
- line of players behind the back line
- first player lies down on his belly
- trainer stands at the other side of the net
- hits the ball and throws the ball
- player stands up and passes to midfielder/SV
- SV catches or grabs the ball and passes to trainer
- passer becomes SV
- first time only insertion
- then with sv as a catcher
- setup and attack
Goal: ball lane recognition, take position in time.
- Ball path: A throws to B, B passes to C.
- Direction of play: A, B, C
- B moves (before the ball has passed the net) to the right position (90%) and is active instead of re-active.
- B assumes the correct position when the ball passes the net.
- B adjusts in the remaining time to the correct position (10%).
- Possibly build up:
- First B catches the ball with bent arms.
- after that B passes the ball underarms.
- Trainer stands on the other side of the net.
- At the centre back there is a row of passers in front of the net and a catcher.
- The trainer throws the ball to the first of the passers.
- The passer passes the ball to the catcher, the catcher tries to throw the ball through the basket, picks up his/her ball and puts it in the cart and joins the back of the line.
- The passer becomes receiver.
- Make threes
- Each trio one ball.
- Player in the middle runs an 8. Every time this player comes in the middle a ball is thrown:
- A throws (or plays overhand) the ball to B (in the middle).
- B plays the ball back to A underhand and then runs around A until he is in the middle again.
- A meanwhile passes the ball overhead to C.
- C plays the ball overhand back to B.
- B passes the ball back to C underhand and then runs around C until he is in the middle again.
- After 2-3 minutes, the player in the middle changes.
- To make it easier, player A and C can also have them throw instead of playing overhand. This can be an underhand throw/catch or an overhand throw/catch.
- To practice standing still while playing/catching, you can also let player B throw and catch underhand.
- player 1 serves over the net towards player 2.
- player 2 passes underarm or overhand to player 3 at the net.
- At the moment player 1 served the ball player 3 throws the ball under the net with a bounce to player 1.
- Player 3 catches the ball from player 2.
- After 15 good services or after 2 min: 1 plate turn (chase ball).
- three defenders and one playmaker in the field
- three (or more) players stand ready as reserves behind the backline (in front of the three field players)
- rest: serve
- one of the three fielders defends, passes to a random field player, other field players make attacking movement
- only the fielder who has attacked moves up to serve
- one of the reserve players fills the vacant fielder's spot