Volleyball drills for setting / overarm technique
- Each player has a ball.
- The pair plays one ball overhead and simultaneously throws the other ball tightly back and forth.
- The trio plays one ball overhead clockwise from player to player and throws the other two balls tightly counterclockwise from player to player.
Each player has a ball.
- The 2 team transfers one ball overhead and simultaneously throws the other ball tightly back and forth.
- The 3 team plays one ball overhead clockwise from player to player and throws the other two balls tightly counterclockwise from player to player.
- The 4 team plays straight ahead (oh, bra), after playing cross with the one next to you.
- player 1 stands pos. 3 SV
- players stand in line, throw ball to SV
- this player plays the BH to the throwing player,
- this player plays the BH far over the net,
- ball is caught by the player,
- everybody except SV keeps on running after the ball.
- Player 3 stands on different spots on the field.
- On a mat. pos. 4/5 and 6
Some variations on the well known butterfly...:
- Service-pass-catch on SU-position, running after the ball.
- As everyone is chasing his/her ball, each player has a different task, but if desired, a player can have a fixed position.
- Variation 1:
- The SU plays a set-up to position 4, where an attacker stands to play a (placed) attack on the receiver.
- The rotation then becomes: Service -passer -upper - attacker - off-side - service etc.
- Variation 2:
- the fixed SU plays a ball to a receiver 'somewhere' in the field, who makes himself known by calling 'here'.
- The SU learns to react on sound, the receiver learns to communicate his position.
- Variation 3:
- The fixed SU plays the pass backwards to position 2, where the receiver, after an attacking movement, catches the ball and starts serving.
- In the diagram is variation 1
- The players are in pairs, one player on each side of the net.
- Both players have a ball.
- One player throws the ball underarms with outstretched arms over the net and the other rolls the ball under the net to the other side.
- Extension: play a key to catch the ball and roll it under the net again.
- Catch the ball with a key and roll it to the opposite side of the net.
- You can extend this exercise and make it more difficult.
Warming up / all-round training
Each player will pass, attack, distribute, block, defend, rally, with turnovers.
- Trainer stands with cart with balls at the pole at #2 (position 2)
- Players stand outside the field at the side of #1 and a playmaker at # 2/3
- First round starts with Trainer throwing the ball to #5, player 1 runs from the sideline to the ball and plays it to the distributor.
- Start with "blue players" (see drawing), then extend with "red players
Further course of play:
- Tr throws ball for S1 to #5
- S1 runs in and plays to Sv (#2/3)
- Sv gives setup to the outside (#4)
- S1 attacks.
- Turn over: S1 becomes Sv, Sv gets the ball and joins the line at #1.
- Sv turns to the other side of the net and becomes a blocker.
Now the same steps as above, but with the block opposite the attacker.
- Turn over: S1 (has just attacked) becomes Sv at #2/3, Sv
passes under the net and becomes B1 at #2B1
who, after blocking, goes to get the ball and joins the row.
- After blocking at #2, player goes to defend at #5. Attacker is obliged to pass to #5.
- When the ball is defended a rally may be played (2 vs. 2)
- After end of rally or no defence or fault in attack, turn over
Extend 3 and more
- One can extend with a 2nd blocker, 2nd and 3rd defender (on resp. #1 and #6)
- More players can be added to field I (so players from the sideline move in when a rally arises)
- The passing game becomes S1 (passing and attacking) -> Sv -> B1 (#3) -> B2 (#2) -> V1 (#1) -> V2 (#6) -> V3 (#5) possibly A2 (#4) and then connect again.
- You can expand to 6 against 6, so start with blue, then B1, then B2, then V1, then V2 (when continuing the game, first V2 and then V1), then V3 (continuing the game with V2, V3, V1) and then possibly A1. In the meantime, players in field I must be added.
- If there are several players in Area I, you can choose to throw in a ball on S1 at #5 instead of throwing in a ball through Tr.
- Stand in a triangle, one on the right side near the net and the other on the left side near the net.
- Everyone is a set upper at this exercise.
- Diagonally on position 2 and 5 a row of players.
- Ball is passed to the BH.
- From position 2 a centre block and an outside block on 4 -
- On position 4 you wait for the next player for a 2 man block.
- Afterwards to 5
- When you have played on 5, you get a ball on position 1, which is thrown to you by the trainer.
- Then in line at 2
- 2 groups, field in half lengthwise.
- Side A left 2 servers,
- Side B left 2 passers, 1 SV and 1 attacker.
- After serving, server walks into the court and chooses position other server ready for next ball.
- Pass to SV set-up
- Attacker makes correct run and jump and plays ball BH to server. Then next ball.
- On 5 occasions correct - 5 times tactical ball - task server on 3m line.
- When 3 times correct - 2 times hard attack straight ahead.
- Then turn except for SV.