hockey drills for all skills
- Put out the pilons as shown in figure three, distribute the balls over pilons C and D.
- In this exercise you place one player each at pilons C and D, the rest of the team will line up at pilon A.
- From A the player runs around the pilon, from the pilon the player makes a sideways movement facing the ball (facing C).
- Player C plays the ball in the forehand of A, A takes the ball and opens to the right, runs towards the circle and finishes at goal.
- From here, he runs towards D and receives another ball.
- The player spins open to the left and finishes on goal again.
- The exercise is meant to simulate a game.
- It is therefore intended that one team consists of the defenders/defending midfielders and the other team consists of the attackers.
- The attackers can score in the normal goal (decide if they can hit high as in the game).
- The defending side can score by driving the ball.
- Over the line of the goals on the half way line.
- The attackers learn to play over and finish at goal and the defending side learns to defend to the outside.
- Put out six pilons in a row with +/- five meters between each pilon.
- This is best done on the 23 meter line as shown in figure 1.
- Again make two rows and let the team sprint from the sideline to the first pylon and back, then from the sideline to the second pylon and back.
- Repeat this until the sixth pylon.
- After these sprint exercises let the team run half a lap.
- Open reception,
- Accelerate & push pass out of the barrel (alternate with other techniques such as stroke, push pass, backhand pass).
- A flats to B (A runs after own ball);
- B takes it open and runs around the pilon.
- B accelerates with the ball stuck to the stick and plays the ball through the gates to A.
- From the back line to 23 m line in 30 sec 3x back & forth.
- 30 sec rest, then repeat.
- H1 level 4x (start competition half) 80% within time should be achievable.
- Pay attention to turning speed.
- Start low to quickly get on track.
- Carry energy in the turn.
- For larger groups, make 2 groups.
- Group one start on back line, group two on 23 meter line. When group one is running, group two is resting (30 seconds).
- Two teams with subs, there's a change if there's a score.
- Each person defends a goal, there are five goals on each field, so there are also five people defending these goals.
- If a goal is scored in your goal, you have to sit on the side and switch.
- A new player (sub) enters the field from the side and defends the goal.
- If there's a goal, it's a point.
- The team with the most points at the end of the match is the winner.
- The exercises can be played in 2 variations: the one for real beginning hockey players (this exercise can be used for a clinic for example) and the one for beginning hockey players who have already been in contact with hockey.
- Variant 1:
- Player 1 plays the ball to player 2, he takes the ball and passes on to player 3.
- Player 3 takes the ball and shoots at goal.
- Player 4 tries to stop the ball with the bottom of the foot or with the stick.
- Player 4 picks up the ball and joins the row at the back of the starting pilon of player 1.
- For safety's sake, don't shoot at goal when player 4 takes the ball.
- The balls can also be taken out of the goal later on or use a break for that.
- This is for safety reasons.
open and closed receptions
- Number one calls "open" or "closed" and then plays the ball to number two.
- Number two comes running into the ball and takes it on according to what was called.
- Then number two calls "open" or "closed" and plays the ball to number three.
- Number three enters the ball and takes it on according to what was called again.
- Then number three runs over the back line into the circle and plays it at the head of the circle to number four.
- Number four finishes on target.
- Purpose; passing over large distances, while running. Finishing and tackleback.
- A plays long pass to B,
- B drives the ball to the right and plays through to C who shoots at goal.
- Once the shot has been completed, the next player on A passes to D
- and D starts a dribble towards the goal (scoring past penalty spot),
- C defends this attack.
- Rotation: A1BCDA2
- Defender plays the ball to the right back.
- Right half pulls in and right front goes deep.
- Defender gives a deep pass on the right front.
- Right front turns away and plays the ball back on the midfielder.
- Midfielder puts the ball back on the other central defender who comes in.
- Pass to left back and then perform the same exercise as over right.
- 1 plays the ball using the bar to 2
2 runs in, controls the ball, moves towards the axis of the pitch and plays via the bar to 3
3 runs in, takes on and plays to the running-through number 2
2 Takes on and shoots (high) on target
Same for 4,5,6 if there are enough players for that
Press and hold 1-2-3-1 (or 1-2-3-4-5-6-1)
For the Hockey trainer: Yoursportplanner one
Hockey training sessions
Easily create training sessions and save them. View the sessions in the mobile app.Go to training sessions
Search existing drills. Create, save and reuse your own drills. Share drills.Go to drills
Add players and register attendance. Team calendar with games and training sessions. Driving schedule.