Basketball drills for attack / offense
With 3 men on the back line and the middle having the ball
- The middle passes to a man
- Runs after the ball.
- Who passes to the man on the other side
- Also runs after the ball.
- They do this while running to the basket on the other side.
- When someone is close enough to the basket, the man runs a lay-up.
NOTE: no ball on the ground, so the other must rebound (even when scoring)!
Everyone in the trio must have scored once.
If that takes more than 6 attempts, then they all have to do 10 pushups
- Drawing fouls, protecting the ball and watching.
- Going hard to the basket and on your opponent.
- Reading the defender
2 x 3 set-up
- 2 pairs (defender/attacker).
- 1 player at head of bucket with ball.
- Pass and set up screen on player without ball.
- Player cuts above.
- Player also rolls off.
4 pylons, at each pylon 1 player (1 or 2 players rebound)
- Pass the ball down
- Cut to the other side
Fill positions and ball goes through passes to the other side low, where the player takes a shot
- Players gather at the baseline in 2 groups, 1 player stands under the ring with ball, 2 players stand on the opposite side ready to defend. Player with ball dribbles over, players left and right run along the sideline in attack.
- Defense is free to choose whom to defend, active D, no taking position in or around the bucket.
- Player who finishes or loses the ball attacks together with the 2 defenders.
- On the other side of the court, 2 new defenders are ready to play.
- The players line up in two groups on the sideline near the halfway line.
- The first 2 players of the red group line up on one side of the field and have the ball.
- One player of the blue team lines up on the other side.
- As soon as the attacking team crosses the centre line, the 2nd player of the blue team runs around the cone in the centre circle and starts defending.
- Attacking players try to score before the 2nd player gets there.
- Player on top attacks the basket.
- Passes along the baseline.
- Ball to corner makes quick extra pass to wing who takes the 3 point shot.
- The player at the corner runs to the basket immediately after the pass.
- Where that gets the ball from the player on the wing on the opposite side works off under the hoop.
- White triangle takes rebound from the 3 point shot.
- Blue player takes own rebound. (Passing clockwise.)
- Start at the centre line with 3 x 2.
- Attackers may only pass and lay-up from a pass.
- Bounce pass only.
- If attackers don't score, or pass poorly --> push up.
- Let defenders stand a few times, work together.
- Divide players into groups of 5.
- Normally we have 2 or 3 baskets available.
- For example, every 7 minutes turn over, first center explanation. (most guidance on the dribbling skills needed)
- Station 1. (Basket 1)
- 3x2 play from the center line without dribbling (only passing, free running, pivoting)
- Station 2. (basket 2)
- 1x1 play (substitution, attacker becomes defender, occasionally change the order to get different match-ups, 1-shot attempt or under time pressure to keep up the momentum)
- Station 3. (Basket 3 - if available)
- Shooting exercise: 5 positions on edge of bucket (low, elbow, free throw line, elbow low).
- 1 player shoots, others catch and pass the ball (1 shot per position, highest score of the group)
- Station 4 dribbling skills. (1-2 pawns)
- Over the pylon (do not take it with you, keep control, from left to right, 1 hand behind your back)
- Lift the pylon with the left, dribble with the right (throw the pylon, catch it with the other hand)
- Left/right and touch pylon (timer, counting) - hand that releases the ball must touch pylon (low position, defend the ball)
- 2 pawns, dribble left, touch right
- 2 cones (8 dribble with 1 hand)
- Station 5 dribbling skills. (row of pawns)
- Slalom around the pawns, low dribble, back and forth (tempo)
- Variant: low dribble, feet on both sides of the pawns, cross after every pylon.
- Low dribble, always touching the according pawns.
- Stay in control, stay on the same side. (dribble left, touch pylon with right)