Basketball drills for rebounding
- Line up for free throws
- Let the ball bounce on the ground (defenders must keep the attackers away until the ball has stopped)
- When the attacker gets the ball, push up (whole team)
- 3 defenders in a row in the paint.
- Give them number one, two, three.
- 3 attackers at the three-point line position head and wing.
- Coach passes to one of the 3 attackers and calls nrs 1-3
- Defender with that number close-out to attacker with ball.
- Attacker shoots (may use 1 dribble). Defence boxt-out
In this exercise, the basics of rebounding are explained and practiced (again).
Low center of gravity
- Pairs of equal strength, without the ball.
- Each pair backs against each other.
- Start on the baseline, player on the baseline (attacker) tries to push the player with his back towards him (defender) to the opposite side.
- Defender must have his back straight and his knees deep, so that the centre of gravity is low.
- Once on the other side, the players swap roles and go the other way.
Explanation of basic movements
- Watch where the attacker is going.
- Make contact with hand/arm.
- Pivot so your back is turned to your opponent.
- Box out!
- Same pair on the baseline, about a metre apart.
- Trainer calls out left or right.
- Attackers then calmly take a few steps towards defender.
- Defender carries out steps.
- NOTE: attacker must step slowly for the exercise!
- After a few rolls, attacker/defender turn around.
- Same pair, around the centre circle. (Defender on the circle line, 1 ball in the middle.)
- When the trainer says GO, the attackers try to get the ball, the defenders have to box out!
- After a few rolls attacker/defender turn around.
- Rows of 5-6 men, 2 per basket, 1 ball per row.
- Throw ball against the board, next player catches and throws again immediately against the board.
- U12-2 must catch ball in the air.
2 rows, 1 ball per team
- Player scores, rebounds own ball, and passes to next player in line
- Player who scored runs to the other baseline to retrieve a pawn and brings it back to the group. Can also be done with the volleyball scoreboard (keeping track of points, best of 5)
- Group with most pawns at the end wins
Triplets with a ball.
- Trainer throws ball against the board, team must rebound and choose outlet.
- Trainer blocks off one side so they have to pick and ask for the ball!
- Outlet dribbles to the middle and 3X0 completes with a layup (pace.)
- Depending on the level of the U12 explain: outlet, ask for the ball (hands), fill in lines and run attack.
- Trainer can be disruptive at the 2x1, pay attention to left and right handed dribbling.
Games with different assignments/restrictions.
Pay attention to free running, not blind dribbling, good passing, pivoting, talking.
- 3x3 without dribbling (1 basket)
- with max 2 dribbles
- Both teams lie on the back line (on stomach),
- trainer puts ball in play via shot or bounce (quickly choose position, who will attack?)
- just play to the 10 (end game)