Volleyball drills for passing / defense / reception
Hit to outside and middle
Beside the playmaker, the other players execute a pass, an attack, and a service.
The exercise is as follows:
- 1 Player 1 throws a tight ball to player 7
- 2a player 7 passes the ball to the playmaker
- 2b player 1 walks to the other line and joins the back.
- 3 the playmaker gives a set up to player 6
- 4 player 6 smashes the ball to the mat
- 5 player 6 picks up his own ball
- 6 player 6 serves the ball to the other mat
- 7 player 6 picks up his own ball
- 8 player 6 joins the line
- This can also be done a middle attack
After 10 minutes, a block is added
- Trainer throws the ball, player catches the ball and puts it in the cart.
- Then the player goes to the ladder, goes through it, and joins the next line.
- Throw difficult balls (left and right, front and back).
- Play underhand for themselves and catch.
- Two players get ready next to each other and have to call let go.
- A setupper is added who has to catch the underhand ball.
- An attacker is added who has to play the setupper's ball over the net.
- Make trios
- Each trio has a ball.
- Player in the middle keeps running an 8. Every time this player comes in the middle, a ball is thrown:
- A throws (or plays overarm) the ball to B (in the middle)
- B throws the ball underhand back to A and then runs around A until he is back in the middle.
- Meanwhile, A plays the ball to C
- C returns the ball overarm to B.
- B plays the ball underhand back to C and then runs around C until he is back in the middle.
- after 2-3 minutes the player in the middle is changed.
- To make it simpler, player A and C can throw instead of playing overarm. Could be underhand throwing/catching or overarm throwing/catching.
- To practice standing still when playing/throwing, player B can throw and catch underhand.
- The team is divided in 2 groups.
- Place a group on both sides of the net.
- 1 side will serve, the other side positions 3 passers
- They try to pass the ball high and this has to be caught on their own side.
- Servers take turns.
- A new passer will enter the field to replace the one who has caught the ball.
2 They play until 10 points. The servers score a point if the ball is not caught. The passers get a point if it is caught. Incorrect service does not count. After a round, they switch sides.deround with 2 passers instead of 3.
Divide over 3m line. Throw ball in zig-zag pattern and follow. See picture.
Later, play underhand, only overarm. One side of the net underhand, other side overarm.
Improving the pass by positioning the shoulders in the playing direction
Pay close attention in exercises:
- Pass has to be high so player can catch ball 'overarm'.
- Pass to the right, right foot forward
- Pass to the left, left foot forward
- 'Eyes' of the shoulders in playing direction
- trios with 1 ball
- 1 an 2 are next to each other, not too close to the net.
- 3 is opposite 1, in the back of the field.
- 1 throws straight to 3, and 3 throws diagonally to 2.
- 2 catches and throws straight to 3, and 3 throws diagonally to 1.
- 3 keeps moving.
Service pass training for 4 to 12 persons
2 servers on the service spot .
(static) Server serves, passer passes the ball to catcher, catcher catches the ball and rolls it back to the server.
(dynamic) same as static, but then the involved player walks after the ball. (server becomes passer, passer becomes catcher, etc.)
(Static) see four persons
(dynamic) server serves the ball and walks after his/her ball.
Passer passes the ball to catcher. The most right player becomes catcher
Server moves in from the left. Catcher becomes server. If this does not work, 1 passer becomes reserve.
- Trainers: shows basis, right leg forward, make plank, step in, etc.
- In pairs with 1 ball. Player at the net throws ball to player in the back which passes back. Is the pass correct, then play overarm, but be strict!! 20 balls, then change.
(Score keeping every good ball is a point)
- Idem, only now the balls are thrown short/long, so back player has to move forwards/backwards.
- 1 serve, pass to S
- S sets up at 3 meters to one of the passers
- idem other side
- make rally
- serve from the side where the ball hits the ground