Basketball drill: conditioning drill 2 - running, slides, running backwards
Conditioning drill 2 - running, slides, running backwards
This drill is meant to let the players work on speed, condition and a bit of footwork:
Start in corner A;
- The player will run in a row making sure that the fastest man/woman is in front, so that he sets the pace and can take the rest of the group with him.
- From point A the players will run over the blue line to the back line, then they make slides over the back line (the green line) until the bucket line, then they run backwards over the red line to the other back line, slides over the green line forward run over the blue line and again slides over the green line and backwards run over the red line.
- Then slides over the whole back line to point A.
- Every time you pass point A the exercise starts again, determine the number of repetitions according to the condition of the team and build it up as the training progresses.
- After a while you could also hang on to the exercise for example within 40 sec. 1 time. Are you too late? Push-ups, sit-ups etc.
On the picture below:
Blue = run forward
Green = slides
Red = Run backwards
- with the slides, bend the knees, the important thing is that the movement is fast but above all is made good;
- let the players start with a few second intervals, especially when walking backwards they will get in each other's way;
- when running backwards look forward, as if you are looking at the man you are defending;
- that the lines are not cut off.