Basketball drills for all skills
Goal: to defend one pass away
- attackers use quarter of the field
- try to get free with in-out or cut
- first restore balance by occupying the 3 positions before cutting again
- defender overplays when his man is playable with one pass
- attacker can dribble
- a waiting player counts down 20 seconds
- hand in the passing line
- front foot in the passing line
- catch your man with your forearm
- 3/4 of your attention on the man, 1/4 on the ball
- NO help
- change after x stops
Form of play:
- each team gets 5x ball possession
- who makes the most stops
Create a rectangular fieldTwo
teams: attackers / defenders
Players may only tap by pressing the ball on their backs
Learning point: quick passes move after your pass tight passes and quick passes
Pass exercise from the four corners.
- Two rows diagonally opposite each other have a ball
- The other two rows start with diagonal pass towards the row diagonally opposite
- They receive the ball in the middle
- The passer cuts behind his/her own ball and receives it again
- The players all start on the back line.
- They run/jog to the opposite side doing a dribbling exercise.
- The guard/chief indicates which exercise the players will do.
- 2 rows on the center line and an outlet.
- Right side starts with ball and runs lay-up and left side catches it as high as possible.
- The catcher passes to the outlet and the outlet to the next man in the right row, etc.
- After a desired number of scores, do the same on the other side.
- One person shoots free throws.
- The other players stand in the rebound positions and try to get the ball by outboxing.
- Every 2 free throws you rotate.
With 3 men on the back line and the middle one has the ball
- The middle passes to a man and runs after the ball
- The man in the middle passes to the man on the other side, who also runs after the ball.
- They do this while running to the basket on the other side.
- When someone is close enough to the basket, the man runs a lay-up.
- He becomes the defender and the other two attackers must try to reach each other with a long ball.
- The goal of the defender is to prevent the attackers from scoring.
- If the attackers do not manage to score, they must do 5 push-ups.
- Centers + Guards + Forwards
- U12 and up
- 3 or more players
- 1 ball - two baskets
- players must be able to dribble and run a layup
- train running line flyer
- build up speed
- finish break under pressure
- player 1 dribbles the ball over the helpline to the other side and scores with a lay up
- both other players chase and try to prevent the score
- they start on the first dribble
- Players 2 and 3 take the ball from the backline after scoring
- and play 2 against 1 on the bucket at the other side
- defender 1 tries to prevent scoring with a lay up
- push the ball at speed dribble
- Instruct the defenders NOT to make unsportsmanlike conduct.
- defender takes the charge Â- OR forces the dribbler to the side
- tries to intercept the pass
- gives the shot away and punches out the shooter
- Centers + Guards + Forwards
- from U14
- 2 or more players
- 1 ball per pair
- two baskets
- players must be able to dribble a layup run
- to increase offensive creativity in 1v1
- player 1 passes the ball to 3 and gets it back immediately
- 3 moves backwards
- 1 dribbles straight at 3 and has to close the distance between both players
- Unbalance and pass the defender
- Full speed to the basket
- Loser will defend, winner will attack
- Play up to the 3 to keep the intensity high.
- attacker must aggressively close the gap
- Dribble straight at the defender.
- throw the defender off balance with a feint.
- Attacker should be unpredictable.
- only choose which side to pass on at the last moment
- Use feints in the dribble
- after passing at full speed towards the basket cut off the defender by dribbling ON the line of the defender
- after the pass, the defender has to sprint at full speed to pressure the lay up