basketball drills for defense
This drill is meant to let the players work on speed, condition and a bit of footwork:
Start in corner A;
- The player will run in a row making sure that the fastest man/woman is in front, so that he sets the pace and can take the rest of the group with him.
- From point A the players will run over the blue line to the back line, then they make slides over the back line (the green line) until the bucket line, then they run backwards over the red line to the other back line, slides over the green line forward run over the blue line and again slides over the green line and backwards run over the red line.
- Then slides over the whole back line to point A.
- Every time you pass point A the exercise starts again, determine the number of repetitions according to the condition of the team and build it up as the training progresses.
- After a while you could also hang on to the exercise for example within 40 sec. 1 time. Are you too late? Push-ups, sit-ups etc.
On the picture below:
Blue = run forward
Green = slides
Red = Run backwards
- with the slides, bend the knees, the important thing is that the movement is fast but above all is made good;
- let the players start with a few second intervals, especially when walking backwards they will get in each other's way;
- when running backwards look forward, as if you are looking at the man you are defending;
- that the lines are not cut off.
- The defense focuses between man and target and pushes the attacker to his weak hand
- Ball - You - Basket : Ready - Point - Stick aimed at the weak hand
- The heel toe position can best be compared to a closed position
- Ready position, "Nose in Chest" on an attacker who has the ball, you have one foot in front, and the hand on the same side.
- Point position, "Digging the Ball" when the attacker starts a dribble.
- One hand on the ball and one hand next to the head to prevent the pass.
- Stick position, "Mirror the Ball" when the attacker stops his dribble and picks up the ball.
- Two rows on the side at the height of the center line.
- Ball is on one side, attacker decides when he leaves and runs to the middle line, which he must cross all the way.
- The defender also departs but only has to touch the centre circle.
- Aim of the exercise is to come in front of the attacker as a defender.
- When a goal is made, 3 push-ups for the defender, a miss is 3 push-ups for the attacker.
- With 3 men on the back line and the middle one has a ball.
- The middle one passes to a man and chases the ball.
- The receiver keeps the ball behind him and the one who passed first takes the ball and passes on.
- The person who has the ball behind his back runs behind the ball, picks it up at the receiver and passes on to the other side.
- They do this while running to the basket on the other side.
- If someone is close enough to the basket, the man plays a lay-up.
- Make variations on the passing lines
- Starting from U16
- 2 or 4 centers
- 1 ball per pair
- a basket
- Defending a turn around jump shot
- box out after shot
- stimulate offensive rebound after shot
- attacker turns around his axis and shoots
- Defender brings his body in front of the ball with a slide-step, as close as possible to the body of the attacker.
- keeps both arms straight up (= wall) so that the attacker has less view of the basket and has to adjust his shot slightly to shoot over the outstretched arms
- box out immediately after the shot
- A goal is 1 point
- offensive rebound is 2 points even after a goal
- each player defends 5 times in a row
- loser for each point difference: 2 push-ups
- feet slightly wider than shoulder width
- knees slightly bent
- upper body and arms vertically
- NO batting movement towards the ball
- stand up against the attacker by moving towards the attacker (the upper body remains vertical)
- attacker starts under the ring, with his back to the back line and gives a short bounce pass to himself
- attacker first makes a shoulder fake in the opposite direction just before the shot
- 2 baskets, minimum 5 players per basket needed.
- 1 player left sideline (A) extended free throw line. 1 right (B) same but with ball.
- 1/2 (C) players under the basket. 1 player C sets up on free throw line. Helpside defense stands.
- This player defends striker coming in from left (A) to get ball from passer (B) right.
- Stealing ball, 1 v 1. Attacker scores, back to A. If they do not score, back to B.
- B joins C after passing.
- Two men around the bucket for defense
- Three attackers:
- Attacker 1 passes the ball to attacker 2
- All three attackers pass the ball around until one sees a gap and can get into the bucket
- He adjusts the ball and tries to score
- Up to 5 points, then switch roles and the attacker who has scored least stays in the attack.
For the Basketball trainer: Yoursportplanner one
Basketball training sessions
Easily create training sessions and save them. View the sessions in the mobile app.Go to training sessions
Search existing drills. Create, save and reuse your own drills. Share drills.Go to drills
Add players and register attendance. Team calendar with games and training sessions. Driving schedule.