Basketball drills for all skills
- Set-up. Two equal lines.
- The first player in each line DOES NOT have a basketball.
- The Activity - begins with the first player in line making a "V-Cut" at the baseline and pops back out to about 12 feet away from the basket and calls for the ball by showing ten fingers to player #2.
- Player #2 passes the ball to player #1.
- Player #1 shoots and gets his own rebound.
- Player #1 then goes to the back of the line giving his ball to #4.
- Since player#2 gave his ball to player #1, he now makes a V-cut to the baseline and the activity repeats itself.
- Coaching Points- Catch and square up to the basket.
- Passing - 50 Passes
- Set-up - Two equal teams out on the court.
- The Object - To make a total of 50 passes.
- Does not have to be consecutive.
- The Game - teams play keep away by passing the ball back and forth to team mates.
- No dribbling is allowed.
- First team to make a total of 50 passes wins.
- Two lines facing the basket.
- One line is the Layup line, the other line is the rebounding line.
- First two players in the playup line have a basketball.
- The drill - First player in line with a ball dribbles the ball to shoot a lay-up.
- Shooter joins rebounding line.
- Rebounder joins shooting line.
- Coaching point- Aim ball and push it in small square on the back board.
- Have players line up on the baseline and assign the players numbers.
- The Drill - the coach rolls or tosses a ball to the center of half court and calls out a number.
- In this case, #4.
- The two players assigned #4 attack the basketball, the player the wins the ball first is on offense and tries to score on the basket by the coach.
- Players are allowed one shot.
- Variations - Call two numbers.
Full court shooting and running. Condition and shooting
- Four or more players are in a circle
- One or two defenders are in the middle
- The players wil pass to each other and the middle defenders try to catch the ball
- Players in the circle cannot pass to the person directly next to him (because otherwise the ball will not go through the middle)
- If the ball is catched, he will change place with the person who threw the ball
- Repeat ten times
- Any pass is legit
- Two lines,
- one a meter behind mid-court,
- other behind circle on defense side.
- Two balls in middle
- Two hard dribbles, jump stop, pass for layup.
- 4 things you can do after passing:
- Screen away.
- Cut to the basket (example: give and go, or back-cut). Back cut if the defender is denying the pass.
- V-cut and pop back outside for the return pass and outside shot.
- Rules without the ball:
- If you have an under-play (defender sagging off), pop out to spread the defense.
- If you have an overplay (being denied), backcut.
- Someone dribbling at you, backcut (except for the weave plays).
- Fill the open spot when a teammate cuts inside.
- When someone dribble-penetrates, relocate.
- Screen away, and pop out.
- The most important rule is to keep moving.
3 players, 2 balls
- 2 shoot, 1 goes out, rebound, and pass
- Same, but now go to your strength, and shoot
- Same but now go to your cross
- Call names, call for ball => don't pass if they don't call your name
- Be ready! Tripple threat
- Step into the shot
- Game speed, over exagerate