volleyball drills for General
- When delivering a freeball we want to disrupt the opponents offence as much as possible.
- We can also use the freeball to take out an offensive attacker by pulling them close to the net or making them take the first contact.
- Dump zones are meant to target the setter or setter transition area and to pull an outside hitter off of their approach.
- If there is time, the player passing the ball should look at the opponents side of the net to determine where to place the ball - D1, D2, D3, D4
- Teammates not involved in the play should be:
- Ready to defend the freeball
- Looking at the opponents transition or positioning on the court
- Communicating to the player passing the ball on where to put the ball - 1, 2, 3, 4
- It’s fair to say that volleyball is a very fast game.
- That means that a volleyball player should be able to move quickly to do great job on the court.
- Volleyball players should focus on increasing foot speed as well as core rotational speed.
- Now, it’s time for you to get familiar with some of the best volleyball exercises for explosive speed.
A game of 1 against 1 on a six meter long field
- Player A tries to score a point against player B
- Everything is allowed, the ball has to be touched at least 2x before playing.
- Variation 1:
- The ball being played is, from now on, a hard overarm contact.
- Variation 2:
- The second contact is a soccer contact (head, knee, shoulder, breast, foot).
- Variation 3:
- Build up has to be done in 3 times.
- Ball 1 = Underhand
- Ball 2 = overarm
- Ball 3 = Attack or tip
- Build up has to be done in 3 times.
Tick the ball to each other to improve ball handling
Pairs opposite each other
- Players tick the ball from their left fist (arm) to their right and then to the players opposite, who do the same.
- Variations do exactly the same what the person opposite you is doing.
- Variations with the knees
- Variations with feet
- Variations with heads
- The goal is to get more ball control.
Then just play.
Play this game in two teams of 3 to 6 players.
The two teams are in the middle of their own side of the field.
They put their hands on each other's shoulder, not everybody has to see the other side of the net properly.
The ball is brought in at one side with an arch.
The ball has to be played over the net in three times, but:
- The players can only get out of the circle when they have first yelled "let go!"
- Where a player who has claimed the ball gets out of the circle, the circle closes
- When the ball has been played over the net, everybody joins the circle
A team deserves a point when they score with the opponent in three times.
To make the exercise run smoothly, it is good if the players give each other high balls and. of course, claim the ball on time. The goal of this game is to have the players communicate about every ball played. Make clear that they have to be aware that not everybody is always in the right position to play the ball
Have the circle squat or turn circles on the forefeet when the ball is on the other side of the net.
Suggestions and improvements are welcome.
Goal: recognize ball trajectory, QUICKLY assume position.
Ball trajectory: A serves to B, B passes to C.
Walking direction: A, B, C
B moves (before the ball has passed the 3m line of A) to the right position (90%) and is active instead of reactive.
B assumes the correct posture when the ball passes the net
B adjust the correct position and posture in the remaining position (10%).
Possibly build up:
- first B catches ball with bent arms
- B then passes the ball underhand
Goal: warming-up in trios by means of a pepper (pass/set-up/attack) in which players need their attention and concentration.
- player B attacks on A, walks on, joins behind player A
- player A gives pass to C
- player C gives set up on A
- and again
- Player A attacks on C, walks on, following the ball, and joins after player C...etc....
- You can then still vary,
- walk on to pass and
- walk on after set up.
- The players have to keep thinking and find a new rhythm
- tip: when a trio thinks it is too hard, let them name the action out loud... pass/setup/attack and on ....
Game to conclude the training. This exercise combines the two nice concluding exercises King of Court and Smashball.
Played in pairs. In case of an even number of players, the pairs will remain the same, in case of an odd number two different team members are constantly in the field.
- One pair begins in the "king's field" and the other team at the other side of the field, the other players are waiting at the side for their turn.
- The team that begins on the other side of the field gets a ball served by the trainer, is played together three times to attack the "king's field"
- The rally is played until a point is scored.
- If the team on the other side scores a point, it takes the place of the team on the "king's field" and their place is taken by a new pair.
- If the team on the "king's field" scores a point, both pairs remain, and the team on the "king's field" is thrown a (hard) ball by the trainer which is defended and then the rally is finished.
- This offers an extra chance for the other team to get to the "king's field", while the team on the "king's field" can score an extra point.
- If the team on the "king's field" scores this point again, the other side changes team, and the service begins again.
This game seems a bit hard for the pupils at first, but the teams that have payed this game always want it as concluding game..
After every part a short rest and continue. For parts with *, a bench is required, 2 to 4 persons per bench
- Deel 1:
- 30 step-ups* (step up/down bench)
- 15 push-ups* (feet on bench)
- 30 step-ups*
- 15 spiderman push-ups (pull up 1 leg as a frog at the same time as push ups)
- Part 2:
- 30 east-west steps-ups* (right foot on bench, left foot besides, then left foot on right foot besides)
- 10 squats jumps (bend the knees and when stretching jump as high as possible)
- 30 east-west steps-ups*
- 10 squats jumps
- Part 3:
- 20 sideways shuffles over 4 meter
- 10 slit-squat jump (jump, and bend 1 knee, each time a different knee)
- Part 4:
- 20 forward and backward sprints over 4 meters
- 10 squats jumps
- Player A throws the ball over the net.
- Player B or C passes the ball over the net.
- The other player quickly runs underneath the net, and sets up for the same player that passed.
- This player tries to hit a cone from the bench with overarm player or a hitting movement.
Which pair or which team has hit the most cones from the bench after an X number of minutes?
For the Volleyball trainer: Yoursportplanner one
Volleyball training sessions
Easily create training sessions and save them. View the sessions in the mobile app.Go to training sessions
Search existing drills. Create, save and reuse your own drills. Share drills.Go to drills
Add players and register attendance. Team calendar with games and training sessions. Driving schedule.