Volleyball drills for defense / passing / digging / diving / reception
- Two teams one ball
- Everyone of the two teams sit low at one side of the net then play the ball under the net and move sideways to the other side of the net.
- 6 players on one side of the net.
- 1 playmaker on the other side at right back
- 3 strikers +Tim as passer
- Joël throws in balls to Tim.
- Tim passes the ball to the playmaker, who chooses which attacker to pass to. The attacker can choose whether to hit or to place a passed ball behind the block.
starting position by showing chalk drawings on the ground for defending.
- 3 people in the backfield,
- the coach stands at the net
- and the ball has to be played to the coach.
- deep in the back,
- hard balls
- and soft balls.
- The ball may be played in 2x.
Warming up / all-round training
Each player will pass, attack, distribute, block, defend, rally, with turnovers.
- Trainer stands with cart with balls at the pole at #2 (position 2)
- Players stand outside the field at the side of #1 and a playmaker at # 2/3
- First round starts with Trainer throwing the ball to #5, player 1 runs from the sideline to the ball and plays it to the distributor.
- Start with "blue players" (see drawing), then extend with "red players
Further course of play:
- Tr throws ball for S1 to #5
- S1 runs in and plays to Sv (#2/3)
- Sv gives setup to the outside (#4)
- S1 attacks.
- Turn over: S1 becomes Sv, Sv gets the ball and joins the line at #1.
- Sv turns to the other side of the net and becomes a blocker.
Now the same steps as above, but with the block opposite the attacker.
- Turn over: S1 (has just attacked) becomes Sv at #2/3, Sv
passes under the net and becomes B1 at #2B1
who, after blocking, goes to get the ball and joins the row.
- After blocking at #2, player goes to defend at #5. Attacker is obliged to pass to #5.
- When the ball is defended a rally may be played (2 vs. 2)
- After end of rally or no defence or fault in attack, turn over
Extend 3 and more
- One can extend with a 2nd blocker, 2nd and 3rd defender (on resp. #1 and #6)
- More players can be added to field I (so players from the sideline move in when a rally arises)
- The passing game becomes S1 (passing and attacking) -> Sv -> B1 (#3) -> B2 (#2) -> V1 (#1) -> V2 (#6) -> V3 (#5) possibly A2 (#4) and then connect again.
- You can expand to 6 against 6, so start with blue, then B1, then B2, then V1, then V2 (when continuing the game, first V2 and then V1), then V3 (continuing the game with V2, V3, V1) and then possibly A1. In the meantime, players in field I must be added.
- If there are several players in Area I, you can choose to throw in a ball on S1 at #5 instead of throwing in a ball through Tr.
- T touches the ball
- Defend with a pass to T
- then short tip ball
- Three must do block defence
- Finish the attack in threes
5 times then next threesome
- Per 3 players
- 2 balls. person 1&2 stand on 1 side,
- person 3 in the middle opposite them.
- Person 1 throws a ball to person 3,
- who plays it back to person 1 underhand.
- Then person 3 moves in shuffle until she is opposite person 2, this person also throws a ball which person 3 in turn plays back underhand.
- Then move sideways again to person 1
- So continuously move sideways to play balls back underhand from person 1 and 2,
- After X number of balls you change
- Player 1 throws the ball to player 3, who defends it underhand to person 2.
- Person 2 throws the ball to 3, who defends it to person 1 (so defend it diagonally every time).
- First throw everything (player 1 and 2, after that everything BH, after that technical hit).
- Coach throws in balls to players starting from the 3m line.
- Coach throws balls deep in the court and players will have to learn to defend overhead.
- It is a matter of moving quickly
- (Keeping hands ready so the ball can be BH'd if necessary).
- Per 2 players 1 ball
- person 1 stands at the net (with her back to the net).
- person 2 stands opposite her on a 3m line.
- person 1 will throw the ball deep into the court, person 2 moves backwards as fast as possible and tries to play the ball back BH.
- Pay attention to the quick backward movement, and the correct positioning of the hands already ready to play this ball back BH.
- The point here is to also be able to return deep serves.